Thursday, April 24, 2008

Earth Day week

So I haven't been keeping this up as much as I want, but I can always strive to get better. This week is Earth Day (Tues 4-22) week. On campus, we had an updated presentation from a trained "An Inconvenient Truth" speaker. Then yesterday, we had a "Responsible Social Engagement Awards" and vespers. I was one of the graduates recognized. All this has me wondering why what I do stands out and why other people aren't doing it too.

I strive to live a lifestyle that diminishes my impact on the environment. I don't do everything I could, but I try. I also take time to sign my name to petitions to various leaders in government and business and write letters to those same people. I don't have to spend a lot of time with this because I am a member of several organizations that keep me informed of what is going on in the world. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to help the environment, if not for yourself, then for future generations.

It doesn't take much. Use a canvas bag instead of plastic. Use CFL bulbs instead of traditional incandescent. Try not to drive as much, carpool. Recycle your paper and bottles.

Just do something.

1 comment:

Kelleyness said...

I think I have a particularly strong reaction for people who want to have a ton of children and yet don't participate in a sustaining lifestyle for the children they want so much. "I want four kids!" says a girl I work with. Really? Will they have a world to live in? What will that world be like?